Tuesday, January 17, 2012

No.21- Dragons, Hot Srings, and a Giant! (Dragons 6&7)

Moons over Skyrim

After a quick Alchemy/Enchanting run to Winterhold College, Lydia thought it might be fun to retrace our steps across the Northern tundra to Windhelm. I'm not so keen, but... We fought the usual stray bandit and ice wraiths. Briefly stepping into Windhelm, I spoke with another Dark Elf who told me he was forced to live in Gray Quarter. Prejudice seems to be the way of the world, but maybe I can make a difference, later.


Trying to get a better measure of Ulric Stormcloak, I met with the "King Killer" again and he asked if I was ready to join them. I don't buy his rational of killing the King, proved the King could not protect Skyrim, and maybe someone else (Ulric) would do a better job"Against the Thalmor?", I thought. At the moment I had other issues on my mind and declined the invite although I think my decision to back the Empire was just about made up.

Master and Minion

Lydia and I departed Windhelm to the South East arriving at the village of Kynesgrove. There up a hill, we found Delphine (The Blade) hiding behind a rock near the dragon mound. We huddled close and witnessed an incredible event as a mean look'n dragon performed a ritual to raise dragon bones. In amazement we watched as flesh and cartilage wove around a framework of bones, then wrapped in scales, this creation stepped forward as living, breathing dragon (Sahloknir)! I shook my head, hearing words come from the master dragon's mouth! It was not so much what it said, but that I could understand. Significant? Hmm, who knows? I don't.

Post Dragon Slaying Conference

After the Master dragon left, we sprang from behind our rock and undid some pretty spiffy ritual spellwork, killing the short-lived creature. Delphine was convinced of my Dragonborn nature and asked me to meet her in Riverwood for the next part of her plan.

But before I complied, this seemed like a good opportunity to visit Riften, a town in the South Eastern, Rift region of Skyrim.  But no sooner had Delphine skedaddled, we descended from the dragon mound and spotted a second dragon circling to the South by the Skyrim Hot Springs.













This turned out to be a very entertaining fight including lots of running, with 3 wolves snapping at my heals, a giant, his mastodon, and the dragon. I took out the wolves first, and then when I saw the dragon specifically attacking the giant, I got this silly idea in my head that we were "fighting bros". Not quite... During this fight that tall lanky bastard snuck up and brained me from behind, a one shot kill, that sent me flying. Fortunately, I had my "time travel" spell set on auto and got a second chance for some giant payback.


After the fight, I faced a very disturbing event at the Hot Springs. I called out to Lydia and she answered, I turned looking for her and nearly jumped out of my skin when I found her lying prone on the ground, right next to me apparently frozen or possessed, I'm not sure which. When I backed away, she slid along the ground on her back asking "What's wrong my Thane?"
I fought the impulse to flee and asked her how she was feeling.
"A little stiff" was the reply.
"You do know you kinda look like a pretty popsicle?" I quipped trying to make light of her situation. "Any idea how you manage to slide along like that?"
To upset to speak, she stared at the stars.
"Well, at least you can talk, I mean I can hear your voice, that's good." I reassured her. I dug deep into my bag of tricks for a solution but came up empty handed. Nothing covered this situation so winging it, I elected to fast travel us somewhere, anywhere to see if that would snap her out of it.

The Premier Get-Away Retreat of the North
A quick flash up to Winterhold, home of lots of knowledgeable mages seemed right. Stepping into the environment, any residual moisture instantly froze on my face, but minus 12°C and near zero visibility always seems to raise Lydia's spirits. Thank the Gods, when I turned, there she was vertical and animated, all most as good as new, but shaken.  We embraced and squeezing me tight, she thanked me profusely. "Any burden you need carrying?" (her signature statement).
"No, no...Why don't we take a few days and rest a bit up here, sit in the hot tub (if they have one), with a bottle of mead and watch the Northern Lights?", I suggested.

Turns out Winterhold was holding their annual Polar Bear Plunge. Forget the hot tub, somehow, she talked me into shedding my armor and jumping into the frigid bay behind the College with 100 other naked crazy Northerners (so crazy the Huskers stayed away). We came out laughing, teeth chattering, shivering so badly we could barely walk. Drying off we ran to my room and dived into bed under an extra high stack of fur blankets. Ah, the comfort of a down mattress and a warm friend! Despite the cold and general draftiness of the College living quarters, in short order, most of the blankets were kicked aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment