Friday, January 27, 2012

No.25- On to Ysgramor, Calamity at the College!

Ready For Action in Ysgramor's Tomb

It would be a long trek from Whiterun to Ysgramor's Tomb, located on an island next to Winterhold. Let the Circle hoof it up there. I had enough time to run to Dragonsreach, the imposing castle that dominates Whiterun to behold my lovely and devoted Housecarl, Lydia sitting at the long table looking a bit lonely. We have been close at times, however she seemed a bit cool until I invited her to "follow me, I need your help". She's always been on the serious side, and although no cartwheels were performed, her eyes lit up saying "Honor to you my Thane. Lead the way!"

On The Sea of Ghosts

Fast traveling to Winterhold College, we ran down the college walkway, took a hard right and descended the rocky hill to the water. The blustery, frozen, North Eastern shore of Skyrim adjacent the Sea of Ghosts is a grim place. Competing in grimness is Ysgramor's Tomb on the small barren island across the narrow channel. I all most made it across, skipping on floating ice yelling "look at me", but alas I splashed in about half way across.  Shaking off the chill as I drained my boots, Lydia managed to hide her inner smile. We found the Tomb (standard Skyrim hole) and entered, being greeted by both Vilkas and Aera (Companion Circle leaders) in front of a  larger than life statue of Ysgramor, legendary first settler of Tamriel and Companion founder. "Lets get on with it", Vilkas said.

Ysgramor's Statue

Placing the Ysgramor's Blade in the arms of the statue opened the tomb up along with being advised by a ghostly voice we would be tested by ancient Companion ghosts, not to be mean, just to be sure we were worthy. The good news was that I got the Blade back and promptly gave it to Lydia. "You're better with two handed weapons than I am." The gift had made her day. If my Companion friends had a complaint about this, they kept it to themselves.

I Hate Spiders!
The first passage way was filled with spider webs... wonderful. The ghosts were there, lots of them which we fought and defeated. After finishing off the first two chambers, Vilkas announced he had to leave. Maybe he knew what came next?

Ghostly Combat
Why Didn't the Ghosts Take Care of These?

I was happy Aera, Lydia, and Sparky hung in there, because the next chamber was filled with giant spider eggs, and you guessed right, large spiders and one particular giant arachnid. God, I hate it when they spit! (Be sure to shield your eyes.)

Fire of the Harbinger

After finishing them off, we made it into the core of the tomb, a largish chamber with a pedestal containing the Flame of the Harbinger. Standing next to it was the spirit of Kodlak, a welcome reunion. To cleanse his soul, the deal required a  witch head thrown into the fire. I was happy to oblige, pew! Once this was done, Kodlak's large wolf spirit appeared and attacked! We beat it into submission and Kodlak's happy soul was now clean!! Astonishingly he told me I should be the leader of the Companions! Aera heard and it was good enough for her. Thinking of the responsibility, I gulped hoping it would be good enough for the rest of the Companions who have been bad mouthing me since I got admitted. I looked forward to seeing the expression on their faces.

Collecting loot and preparing to leave, I thought "hey", I had a bag full of witch heads that should not go to waste... I plucked a second ripe one from my bag and tossed it into the fire. "Yippy!" I cried out when my snarling wolf spirit appeared ready to fight me! We defeated it too and with a soul-shaking whoosh, I got tingles all over, as my body got free of its shaggy nature! I looked over at Lydia and gave her a "you and me babe" look, but we'd act upon that later. Aera, my Companion friend, told me she was going to hang out and enjoy the good vibes. I took a moment to appraise and thank her. Not a bad looking woman, but with a volatile nature. Hmm.

Trouble at the College!

Being forced to carry stinky quest items is a drag, but I decided I'd persevere a bit more in case any of the other Circle Members wanted to make a break with their furry tendencies.
"Lydia and I are heading up to the College to take care of some things" I said, winking at Lydia. It warmed my heart to see her lovely smile in response. However despite our romantic plans, we walked into a huge mess at the College! Inside the Hall of Elements Arcano (that prick of a Thalmor advisor) had locked himself into the Hall of Elements with a spell barrier and was up to no good hogging the Eye of Magnus all to himself. The Arch Mage and Mirabelle Ervin asked me to help them attack the barrier until it gave way, which resulted in a huge, eye-blinding explosion. Lydia and I survived unscathed, but Mirabelle was injured and the Arch Mage was missing! Stepping out into the College's court yard I found his crumpled body. The Arch Mage was dead! Curses!

Magic Anomalies Run Amuck
Back inside, Arcano and the Eye of Magnus was surrounded by another barrier and he appeared to be zapping it with magic. Associated with all of this, a pack of hostile magic anomalies had invaded the town. My thought was it could be a means of blocking the College off from anyone who could intrude on his devilish plans. Except he underestimated the College Mages, Lydia, Sparky, and yours truly! We dashed into town and took care of the anomalies, post haste.

Arcano, Up To No Good

Inside the Hall of Elements, that bastard Arcano was untouchable inside the roaring, swirling magical barrier that surrounded him and the Eye. Glaringly apparent at this point, I needed to rush to the Labyrinthian right away and fetch the Staff of Magnus, hopefully to crack Arcano up side the head with, but I felt like events were spiraling beyond my current abilities. Before leaving I had to take care of three important items- enchanting and alchemy sessions, and a good night's sleep with some Lydia snuggle time.

No comments:

Post a Comment