Sunday, January 1, 2012

No.12- All Dungeons are Worth Exploring! (Dragon 3)

Frost Atronach (click images) @ ElderScrolls.wiki

Coming off the mountain range where Azura is located, we descended above Fort Kastav, a small, officially abandoned prison fortification, but inhabited by hostile frost mages. The fight involving a Frost Atronach was tougher than I was used to. The hostile mages countered my flame with their frost (imagine a low budget Voldemort- Dumbledore magic fight, except fire against frost) and did not wither the way mobs usually do. Again my Fire Atronach and Lydia gave me added punch.


Fort Kastav Interior

Afterwards we checked out the dungeons (prisoner cells) and found nothing of particular interest, but my ability to ferret out significant finds can be spotty.

Travels
Companion Guild

On a storage run back to the Whiterun Companions Guild, I got annoyed with all the snide comments made by envious members about Guild elders letting me join. A conference with Lydia decided that if I any wanted respect around here, I was going to have to complete another of the Companions quests to emphasise my worth. I was assigned to kill an escaped convict who was rumored to be a far piece off in the vicinity of Windhelm. Our info was good and we found him to the SE of Windhelm. For a long trip, it was a short boring encounter, (flames and a whack to the noggin).

Windhelm on a Good Day

On the way back to Whiterun, we stopped in Windhelm but it was early in the morning. I could not find much in the way of shops for dumping loot, not that I expected them to be open at 6am. The Candlehearth Inn was open. There I managed to get into a wagered brawl with a big mouth anti-dark elf bigot and picked up 100 gold. It's true that the Thalmor are Elf supremacists, but that is no reason to brand all elves as bad, is it?
Candlehearth Hall



Candlehearth Hall Bar

When I got back to the Companions in Whitefun, Skjor invited me to meet him in a secret crypt that night for a special ritual. Hopeful this was official Guild business and not personal, if you know what I mean. However, I postponed that meeting, until I could finish our initial tour of the North, I started several entries ago.

Dragon Overhead Forsaken Cave (outside)

First a fast travel to Ft. Kastav, then we hoofed it West and discovered Forsaken Cave. They say there is no such thing as a bad dungeon, but before we could enter, TWO dragons showed up! At least one was a frost breather. In a tense fight with me weaving and bobbing behind obstacles, one of the dragons was downed, but I'm not sure what happened to the other one. I assume it split.


Icy wonders and Gems Aplenty in Forsaken Cave
Forsaken Cave (Routine) Action

Inside the Forsaken Cave parts of it were very icy and beautiful, and practically every urn in the place contained precious jewels accompanied by the normal parade of not-beautiful Draugrs. At the end of the Forsaken Cave was the Forsaken Crypt with an undead boss who popped out of a crypt, but was not too hard to defeat. The pleasant surprise was the Word Wall at the end. I realized later there was a quest in this cave, but I did not have it. I'll have to come back, but hopefully most of the clearing work has been accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment