Sunday, January 8, 2012

No.17- Surprise in Ustengrav (Dragon 5)

Skyrim Adventures Abound!

I let Aela carry the news to the Companions about Skjor's untimely death, such is life in Skyrim. Lydia and I fast traveled back to Dawnstar. No sooner than we arrived, I noticed soldiers running about with their bows drawn. A shadow passed overhead and you can guess, it was large flying, fire breathing critter! Are dragons stalking me? It seemed to die rather quickly as the townsfolks and team Lil-Lydia took it down.

Every vendor I ask about "dragon killing" weapons, they all make fun of the question. But I've been doing ok with the meager weapons I've got. Maybe I've not yet run into one of the bad-ass dragons?

Uneasy Feeling

Die Already!

After the commotion calmed and gawkers thinned out, I checked my notes. Next major destination would be Ustengrav, to grab the Greybeard's Horn after checking out the village of Morthal, and a night of rest. Lydia and I headed out. This time I had no illusions, Morthal was going to be another hole in the wall fishing village. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against small towns. It's just that I've been using Lydia as a pack mule (using a game loophole) and consequently I just can't give her stuff to carry for me. I have to drop it on the ground and make her pick it up. She must have the largest invisible loot bag conceived, but thankfully it does not slow her down one bit, nor adversely affect her appearance which is lovely. But I digress, the point here is I need to find another armor vendor with abundant $$ willing to buy my loot. The odds of finding one at Morthal were slim.

Hjaalmarch Region
Per the norm, we were accosted by bandits half way to Morthal. I tried this stupid flame cloak and maybe I accidentally hit Lydia in the head with my hatchet. After being burned and whacked, my good friend turned hostile on me! I could not tell her (no dialog options) it was an accident! Oh the pain! She would not attack me, but I could not interact with her either. I tried waiting her out hoping she would reconsider, but she leveled epitaphs my way saying I did not belong in Skyrim. I could bear no more! I made a brief note in my planner to locate a "no friendly fire" mod, then whipped out a special "time" spell, (something like the Galaxy Quest Omega 13 device), which I used to push us back, before the bandit encounter. This is not the first time I've been plagued with this friendly-fire problem.


 


Morthal
 As we traveled west, the weather moderated, the snow lessoning. This was a more temperate part of Skyrim. Turning a corner, we descended from higher ground into the somewhat peaceful community of Morthal (lovely name) where we bumped into a discussion, about a haunted burned down house. I have bigger fish to fry so I blew that off for now. I went in and met the Jarl of Morthal. They all seem to slouch in that "I'm superior" mode. She really had nothing to say to me as Dragonborn.


So for Morthal, no armor vendor, but I did find an alchemy vendor. Most towns seem to have one. Spent the night at the Moorside Inn, then got an early start for Ustengrav, location of the Greybeard's Horn.

Ustengrav- Not All Holes Are A Like

Again, my map was not well marked and we ended up leaving the road and heading North West over rocky terrain to Ustengrav, another circular hole in the ground. We made quick work of a several bandits and a mage who were camping out nearby.  Note, they attacked us first. I should no longer have to clarify, bandits are bad and attacks us.

Big Damn Spider

Toasted!


Into the hole we went! Along the way we got to fight a big ass spider in a room with nasty floor (flame spout) jets. I got the big dumb oaf to follow me into the fiery part and another toasted spider! Lydia was salivating over the prospect toasted spider legs... Alright, I let her indulge.

Unstengrav Grotto, Waterfall, Word Wall
Besides the spider, Usengrav was a cool dungeon literally and figuratively, very vertical, with a large under-ground grotto and a pretty waterfall.   Best yet a Word Wall which taught "Fade". Before we left the grotto, I said, "naw", but doffed my clothes, braving the icy water, wading into the waterfall to discover... a secret chamber! Intuition, baby! There was a chest and some gold, ehh. Returning to the pool, I was splashed by Lydia, in the buff, that minx! This was my Lydia, as I tried to forget the hatchet to the head incident. We proceeded to act silly and splash each other until unable to stand it any longer, stumbled out shivering. I gathered some twigs and used a flame spell to start a fire.

Where's The Prize?
After dressing and regrouping, we progressed to the final chamber where I was anticipating the usual big fight. Up on the alter was this beautiful horn! No wait, that's what I was anticipating. There was no fight and no horn! Instead there was a note with a scribbled message laying on the alter, "meet me in Riverwood!"
"By the Gods!" I swore crumpling the note and stuffing it in my pocket. That was the surprise.
"Riverwood, that's a long damn way" Lydia quipped.
"That's what fast travel is for baby!" I replied, giving her a friendly pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment