Friday, December 23, 2011

No.7- Books & Beards

Fellglow Keep

Departing Whiterun Lydia and I treked to the NE along the White River, were we angled North away from the river to discover Fellglow Keep. Fire Mages were roaming the premises. Lydia and I defeated them and their Fire Atonarchs. The main door of this crumbling fortification was locked. We discovered a back door by the West Tower. Descending into the dudgeon we came upon a vampire target-practice range with vampires in hanging cages and then jail cells. The vampires were not very friendly calling us "meat". I let one out and it skedaddled away.  The former mage apprentice Orthorn (the book stealer) was locked up and begged us for help. Having not much of a choice, he elected to follow us while we retrieved the books from the leader of this Mage faction called The Caller. She was pissed we'd been killing off her helpers. It should be noted that all fatalities resulted from us defending ourselves. Demanding the books, she offered up a trade, the books for Orthorn, but my good nature got the better of me so instead we attacked and killed her and two Fire Atronachs, then scooped up the books to be retuned to the College. Orthorn high-tailed it out of there promising to return to the College, but I won't hold my breath.


Ninjas

Emerging out of Fellglow Keep into darkness, there was a Dragon flying around but after my dragon-fighting performance at the Whiterun Tower I was not keen to engage. 



Valtheim Towers


Staying low, we headed East along the North side of the White River discovering a bridge with two tall towers, Valtheim Towers to be exact. The view looking down upon them was breathtaking. Bandits were in control until we showed up. Before heading back to Winterhold I felt compelled to seak the Greybeards out in their mountain hideaway. Crossing the river we moved East along the road circling around the large mountain on the South side of the White River, to the SE, climbing up away from the road to higher elevations were we came to a large crevas with a spectacular waterfall, the first of many.


Headed to High Hrothgar Crevace

A quick check of my magic map indicated we must get across. While I pondered our situation, thinking we'd have to head back down to get across, Lydia spotted a large tree laying across the gap and of all things there was a bandit hanging out on it daring us to pass! After booting him off the side, we found a path that kept going up, up, and more up.  It was beautiful but where to now? Jumping down an embankment and crossing the waterfall river, I lost track of my companion, as companions can't jump very well and she disappeared, I assume to find another way across.  I figured maybe poorly that she would catch up with me.

Iverstad Base Camp
The path took me up past breathtaking vistas until I arrived at Ivarstead, a quaint little mountain village. Two peasants on the bridge were talking about the 7000 steps to the Monestary of the Grey Beards. One of them had supplies and since I was going there anyway, I volunteered to take them with me.

It's up There!
Holy smokes, unbelievable, this climb was far from over but at least there were steps, kinda. I stopped counting when I hit a thousand steps or so.

Beautiful View
These Beard Guys live on top of a frick'n big ass mountain. I looked around nervously, where was Lydia? It was taking her a very long time to catch up. Ascending the upper mountain I killed a large spider and several snow wolves and met several pilgrims. I climbed right into a howling gale and had a close enounter with a mountain troll. I stood for a moment at the top of the world and enjoyed the view. Finally rounding a corner I stood in front of High Hothgar, the home of the Greybeards. I cooled my heals (literally) for a bit waiting on my companion but she was a no show. Nervously I walked up the steps and entered the home of the Masters of the Voice.

Top of The World

High Hrothgar

No comments:

Post a Comment