Wednesday, December 21, 2011

No.4- Undergraduate Studies at the College of the FAR FAR Frigid North

College of Winterhold
Walking boldly up the steps of The College of Winterhold I was met by Faralda, a High Elf Wizard like myself, although if there was any kinship, it was lacking on the surface. She wanted to know who I was and what I wanted. "I want to make a career out of Magicka", I told her. Not impressed as a demonstration of my Mage abilities, she asked me to conjure up a Fire Atonach. Uh, well, I did not know that one. For 30 gold she offered to teach me and voila, I conjured a pretty atonach. "All righty then" she responded and sent me on my way to meet the College's Arch Mage, Savos Aren. In the process of getting signed up for Mage studies I met the heavy weights, Master Wizard Mirabelle Ervine, the Thanor advisor, Ancano (weasel), and my Mage instructor Tolfdir. I was shown my quarters and then we launched immediately into an initial lesson where I was taught how to "ward" attack spells directed at me (keep them at bay).

In my first day at the College, I spoke with another apprentice Elf who told me  Winterhold used to be much larger bustling place, but at some point in the past (I'm foggy on the dates), fears about magicka wielders had an adverse effect on the economy of the town reducing it to its sad state today. For the information, I allowed this nice lass to practice spells on me and what a thrill! Among other things I learned how it felt to be turned into a horse and a cow! I think this was an accident and fortunately she was able to bring me back to a normal state. I discovered and was disappointed that there is no Spell Casting crafting at the College. In Cryodiil I loved those custom spells. :(


Saarthal
There was no time to mope before Tolfdir insisted the apprentice mages follow him to  an ancient Nordic burial site called Saarthal. Walking out over the snowy landscape we noticed several dead soldiers and then killed a bear. I wonder if the bear was responsible or could it be something else? Saarthal- snowy and cold on the outside, but comparatively toasty and warm on the inside. Descending into Saarthal we first spent our time searching for magical artifacts, but then it got exciting when it was me who discovered the secret passage! And it was me who saw a vision of an apparition named Nerien who gave me a warning about the events I had set in motion! What events? It's not my fault is it? And he finished by telling me that the Psijic Order believes in me! Who? Anyway, I hoped that confidence was well placed...

Tolfdir and I ventured forward entering the chamber of Jyrik Gauldurson discovering a large 10' glowing orb. When confronted by Jyrik himself, we had to fight and kill him. Tolfdir is old but he was the one who figured out that attacking orb was the key to defeating the cursing Jyrik. And afterward, in his aged way he was excited about this orb and sent me back to the College to tell the Arch Mage.

However, Arch Mage Aren appeared very ho hum about the news and sent me down to the Arcanaeum to look for books about it. There I discovered that a former student named Orthorn stole some books which could include important info about the orb. So off I went to search for stolen books. You can run but you can't hide very well in Skyrim as evidenced when the destination, Fellglow Keep (the location of the missing books) appeared on my magical map, and it was close to Whiterun. I needed to head back there anyway and hand over the Dragon Stone I had collected from Bleak Falls Barrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment